Thursday, February 21, 2013

I ruin other's dreams

 I realize that almost everyday I commit a terrible crime. The crime of being a dream ruin-er.

Now, you may be confused. Ruining other's dreams you ask? Well, yes, that's exactly what I do. It's a habit of course.

You may be wondering how, what type of dreams am I ruining? I'm not talking about REM sleep dreams, I'm talking about future achievements.

I do it logically, only if one thing sounds like a one-in-a-million chance.

For instance, many of my friends/peers want to be superstars when they grow up. Ranging from famous singers, to actors, to big names in sports.

Instead of saying 'Wow! I'm sure you'll make it, you are wonderful at blah blah!', I usually say 'What will you do if you don't make it, I mean, there is a slight chance you'll reach that goal.'

They give me this look, as if they are obviously going to have a glamorous life once they grow up. It's like I'm trying to give them a blunt reality check. I have to remind them that not everything comes easy once you get out of school. Even if they do work hard, there isn't a big chance they will be famous when they grow up.

If they are right, they can tell me "I told you so!".

 How they probably feel inside after I tell them off

No comments:

Post a Comment